Yogurt and garlic for yeast infections
Another great natural remedy to get rid of a vaginal yeast overgrowth at home is to use the antifungal properties of garlic and yogurt together. Garlic contains an antimicrobial compound allicin which can help to greatly reduce the symptoms of candidiasis.
The journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy reported that fresh garlic has antifungal activity against Candida albicans. When applied to affected tissue, garlic prevented yeast infections from sticking to and infecting the tissue.
How to use:
You can help to get rid of a yeast infection naturally by applying garlic and yogurt to your vagina or by ingesting it. This is what you should do:
- Peel and crush 2-3 cloves of garlic and allow to stand for 10 minutes (this allows the allicin to form).
- Mix with one cup of plain yogurt.
- Use a tampon to apply the garlic and yogurt remedy to your vagina to help destroy Candida.
- Leave for 1 hour and then rinse off.
- Apply 2 times a day until all signs of candidiasis have gone completely.
Alternatively, you can consume the yogurt and garlic remedy 2 times a day to kill off Candida infections internally.
Probiotic supplements for yeast infections
If you don’t like eating natural yogurt to get rid of your yeast infection, you can try probiotic supplements that contain Lactobacillus strains – the same type of bacteria that is in “live” yogurt.
The journal Microbes and Infection reported that women who took probiotic supplements saw a reduction in their symptoms of candidiasis. The women in the trial experienced less vaginal discomfort and discharge.15
Other Natural Remedies for Yeast Infections
If you are fighting a yeast infection, there are some other natural home remedies apart from yogurt that you can use.
the acidic properties of apple cider vinegar are a powerful weapon against yeast and Candida fungi. To get rid of yeast infections naturally, you can take apple cider vinegar internally. Or, adding apple cider vinegar to your bath will help to reduce vaginal yeast and relieve itching naturally. .
How to Prevent Yeast Infections
Although most women suffer from a yeast infection at some point in their life, there are many steps that you can take to minimize your risk of infection.
The Office on Women’s Health recommends the following ways to prevent a yeast infection from developing:15
- Wear cotton underwear to try to keep your genital area as dry as possible.
- Change out of wet clothes (like swimsuits or workout clothes) as soon as possible.
- Don’t use scented feminine products.
- Change panty liners and tampons often.
- After using the bathroom, always wipe from front to back.
- Keep your blood sugar levels under control if you have diabetes.
- Eat 1/2 to 1 cup of “live” yogurt daily or take probiotic supplements that have Lactobacillusacidophilus